Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Knitting Foibles

I just finished knitting the Shalom sweater and I have to frog the whole thing. I modified the pattern in an attempt to make a pattern for a small medium woman fit me – a plus sized woman. I ended up making a sweater that would fit a super plus sized woman. What I learned is that I have a mental image of myself that is a bit bigger than I really am. So I am going to frog this sweater and begin again. It is a quick knit and what really makes me sad about this is that my knitting was so good. The technique of the stitches were uniform, tension was uniform. The finished garment was beautiful. I hope I can reproduce it when I get the courage to try again.

I had added 40 stitches to the pattern and I don’t think I need to add that many. I am considering adding 15 and am now questioning if that may too many. Modifying sewing patterns, which I can do well, is so much easier than modifying knitting patterns.



Meanwhile, I want to post a picture of my finished Clapotis. I can do this ‘tangy’ pattern from Knitty. I had this yarn in my stash and I love how it came out. It is cotton and nylon so will wear well and I can wear it year round. It looks good with my orange dress and I have a red pantsuit that I can wear it with too. My learning on this project was how to twist stitches as a Continental knitter. I was also had some tension issues which I will address when I do this pattern again in the future. I am happy with the finished product.

1 comment:

ChelleC said...

Your clapotis looks terrific.