Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's almost a sock and some other completed projects


I have been knitting a lot lately to divert my attention from some serious matters at my church and procrastinate in preparing to be a Commissioner at the upcoming General Assembly meeting of my denomination later this month. Oh, I've been preparing and I've been doing my work, but what I really want to do is knit.

I sat down last week and wound some yarn into a usable ball. I don't have a swift or ball winder -- yet! I bought this beautiful purple yarn from my friend Kay off of her Etsy site, Dome Hill Yarns. Kay hand dyes sock and worsted weight yarn. I found a pattern for socks that I liked and thought would show of the variegations of Kay's yarn. I'm almost done with the first sock in the Nutkin pattern. If I'm lucky I will have two pair of hand made socks to wear to General Assembly. I'm wondering if I can get any knitting done while at GA and hope to pack some sock yarn and needles and will probably do something like the Nutkin since it is an easy pattern.

I've also made myself a HUGE Hobo Bag that I refer to as my Hippie purse. It is made out of Banana Fiber Yarn the I bought from the Hunger Site. It is a really interesting fiber to knit with, not exactly soft or easy on the hands, but it does make a strong garment. I have some teal, black and white so it looks like I will be making some more market bags or such. This Hobo Bag is my own design. Not real pretty but it does do what I want it to do...hold a lot of stuff. It is going to General Assembly with me. I've also been working on getting a couple of swap packages together that need to be mailed this weekend. One is a swap for sock yarn out of my stash (which is getting big) and one is for a mini purse/bag swap. For that swap I knitted a really cute bag of my own creation/pattern based on the 'basic' design of another pattern. It is really cute and I'm going to make a second one for myself. I'll post that picture when I get ready to mail the package.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those socks look great! It's a pattern I have in my Ravelry queue... seeing yours is the motivation to cast on for mine! I can't wait to get your first swap package out (I'm planning a big yarn store trip next weekend).