Thursday, July 10, 2008

Favorite Summer Time Memory

The Summer of Yarn Love swap that I am involved in on Ravelry is having a contest for the best summer memory. I think the reason I like my front porch on my house so much is that it allows me to recapture the feelings of some of the best things I loved about summer and my best summer memories.



I've always loved summer and you don't often hear me complaining about the heat or the humidity. I especially love summer in the Midwest because of the wind and the clouds.

The reason why I like my front porch so much is allows me to sit out and enjoy the clouds and the wind and it reminds me of two of my favorite things that I use to like to do during the summer growing up in Grand Rapids, MN (beside the daily bike ride to a local lake to go swimming) and that was sitting on the front porch at night with a flash light and messing with the bats that lived in the Blue Spruce tree in the front yard. I also liked to sit in the chaise lounge chair at night and watch the stars while listening to the radio. I know that in this day and age of X-box, Nintendo, and Wii that these simple and carefree activities seem kinda dull.

They were great because they didn't cost money and they connected you with simplicity and nature. What else could you ask for in a chaotic world.

Oh, I also learned to knit from my neighbor Hazel during the summer. Summer gave me the opportunity to learn new things that you didn't get to normally learn in school...that is why I liked summer school, not for the remedial courses but for the enrichment courses, so I always tried to go to summer school and learn something new. Because of this I can play some chords on a guitar, learned all about the Bicentennial times (I know I'm dating myself) and the arts and crafts of that era. Hey I learned how to use a drop spindle and made the most bumpy and lumpy yarn but loved the feel of the freshly carded wool. And my neighbor taught me how to knit...which is why I am posting this today.

Summers Rock!

Oh the yellow thing is my robotic mower....another reason to love the summer....I don't mow...Edgetta mows....I posted an earlier blog entry on her.

2 comments:

Myownigloo said...

Never had the *ahem* pleasure of tormenting bats with flashlights. Sounds like fun! (Oh, and I remember the Bicentenniel, too. My dad and all the men we knew grew beards and looked weird. I got to wear a prairie cap. Fun, fun, fun!)

Anonymous said...

No, not dull memmories at all! Sounds like the best kind of days to me.

You have a beautiful home!

~Secret Spoiler