Friday, July 18, 2008

Satire and Humor and Jib Jab

There was a big hub bub earlier this week about the cover of the New Yorker magazine and how it portrayed Barack and Michele Obama. The New Yorker said it was satire but in my own personal opinion it stepped over the line. And I sometimes read the New Yorker. One of my college roommates was a regular reader of the magazine and I love New Yorker cartoons, but this was just wasn't satire and it wasn't funny.

On that note, I know that humor is difficult for many and irony, satire, and sarcasm can be used effectively and can sometimes go overboard as in the case of the New Yorker. Al Franken is running into this problem, as was recently reported on NPR earlier this week, in his Minnesota Senate race against incumbent Norm Coleman. Now I admit that Franken's first book about Rush Limbaugh was one of the funniest books I've read back in the early part of this decade.

Humor is important to me and I like to laugh at least once a day. To that point I want to share with you the latest Jib Jab video on the election season. Jib Jab is a social networking site of sorts that allows you to share all those forwarded e-mail jokes and videos and share them with other people on the site. I was a beata tester for Jib Jab and have a Jib Jab coffee mug to prove it! I know I get excited about the smallest things in this life.

Well my favorite Jib Jab is Big Box Mart, but this one is much more relevant for today.


Send a JibJab Sendables® eCard Today!


No comments: