Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Who Said Summer was Lazy and the days were Hazy?

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer was the title of a song from the era of my parents. If my parents were still alive today they would both be in their 90's. I was a midlife surprise. It took me a long to realize that I wasn't a mistake or an error or even a freak of nature. Actually I've come to understand that as a midlife surprise that there are some very interesting and unique things I can contribute to the world. One of those being cross generational understanding, which I am attempting to discern how to further develop and use.

Considering I'm technically a first year Gen Xer this is always something that makes people take a second look when I tell my sister is in her 60's (the age of my of peer's parents) and my parents, if they were still living, would be the same age as their great-grand parents. This could make you feel like a freak but these circumstances are actually a gift.

I like the fact that my parents were from the GI generation and my sister is from the Silent generation and I looked up to and was influenced by some incredible Baby Boomers and count many of them friend and I actually have some Gen Xer friends too! It is interesting in that my life has been touched and influenced by decades of generations what gets confusing for me is some of the stuff I think about to the point that my brian hurts and that is how different people of different generations bridge or don't bridge the technology gap. I'm very comfortable with adapting and using new technologies. I may ask a lot of questions until my little brain gets comfortable with understanding something new and then if I find it useful, I'll adopt it.

Well that gets me back to the song. Summer use to be Lazy when I was a kid. Summer is Crazy now that I'm a 'grown up.' And Summer is NOT Hazy in Kansas City, for that you need to go to the Ohio Valley where this is no wind and no fluffly clouds and the air just sits in a puddle of humidity. I don't miss Louisville in the summer.

Well back to Crazy days of summer.

I am working on so many projects with tight deadlines right now that I finding myself procrastinating on Facebook, Ravelry, and writing on my blog. Now I know that if I just sat down and applied myself for a few minutes here and a few minutes there that I could have most of these pressing little projects done and I could actually enjoy the rest of the Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer.

Then there is my porch...it's dusk and its not too hot and it might just be time to sit a spell and be lazy.

Ahhhhhhh Summer! Don't you love it!

No comments: