Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009 a New Year - with loose ends.

I haven't posted on my blog since the last day in October of last year. November and December of 2008 were tough months and I am really looking forward to 2009 as being a better year. Oh I have tons of stuff to be grateful for and I am. I also have a to do list a mile long on things I would like to change. I tend to over schedule myself and that got me into trouble the past two months.

I still don't have my assignment done, even asking for an extension, from my September continuing education class on Reformed Theological Issues of Middle and Older Adults. I have to write six hours of lesson plans on theological issues and it's just too much. The other two classes I have taken in this "under development" certification program only required four hours of lesson plans. A 'bug' that I will have to work out with the instructor, since I am the coordinator of the said "under development" certification program. It also would not look good if I didn't complete the assignment so I sit with that looming over my head.

I did manage to finish my DH's sweater, which I started in January of 2008, on the last day of 2008. I think it came out pretty nice. I liked the pattern, but if I were to do it again, I'd make the sleeves shorter and a size smaller. DH wanted a BIG sweater and he got one.



In terms of New Year's Resolutions. I rarely make them. I have made two related to my professional and spiritual life this year. 1) In honor of the Jubilee of John Calvin's Birthday, I have committed myself to read the Institutes of the Christian Religion every day (except the Lord's Day - which is Sunday) this year. I haven't read the Institutes since Seminary and thought this would be a good exercise in this special Jubilee year. 2) I was alarmed to learn when I went to Interim Pastor Training the last week of October, that the average clergy person only prays 6 minutes a day and lay members of the congregation pray even less per day. As people of faith, we should be all about prayer and prayer should under-gird all we do, so I have resolved to pray more every day in 2009. [Note to self: Check out and follow - up on the rumor that you have heard about Rick Warren saying that prayer isn't that important for church growth].

On a personal and health nature, I have made a resolution to be more mindful about the carbohydrates I eat. My body doesn't deal as well with carbs as it could and I want to watch that this year so as not to develop a chronic illness. I began doing this just before Thanksgiving and didn't gain any weight during the holiday and actually lost a couple pounds.

I was happy to get back to my knitting group last week and this week. We had a full complement of people today nineteen or twenty in the coffee shop at BORDERS. Of course BORDERS is dangerous to my budget. I greatly enjoyed my Iced Latte and Raspberry Thumbprint Scone (highly recommended - very tender and not too sweet) and of course books. I bought three today. So much for my book diet.

In terms of my knitting, I'm working on my stash this year. No buying yarn for a while. I have too much yarn. I'm knitting kitchen towels with this lovely cotton yarn that I received in a yarn swap last year when I went wild on swaps. I know have wonderful yarns to knit and look forward to lots of knitting in 2009.

1 comment:

ChelleC said...

Hey Carla, it was wonderful seeing you again. Anthony's sweater looks very handsome on him. Here's wishing you a Happy New Year!